Sunday, August 23, 2015

Wasatch Art Soiree

                  Wasatch Art Soiree

The Albion Grill
10520 East Day Lodge Road, Sandy, UT 84092
TL;DR 
- Price: $50 per person, $75 day of, $125(?) VIP
- Flavor: Varied
- Filling?: Reasonably so
- Parking: Excellent

This is a bit of a departure from my usual reviews. I asked my friend to go as I had a prior engagement. Additionally, the event was quite different, being a showcase of art and food. Thus the review will likely be more of a narrative.

Second Source Account:

Okay, major thanks to Milton for sending me to this event. It was very generous of him. Hopefully I can do this justice.

I parked at the Park and Ride, which was home to a very cool mountain goat viewing area. Didn't catch any this time, but maybe next year!

The event was held at the Albion Grill. I heard from a fellow shuttle-goer that it is the only restaurant open during off-season (summer). Typical grill food. Could be worth taking a look.

















I absolutely loved their live music. Particularly the Sherlock Holmes theme music, haha. Not sure if anyone else got that vibe, but I felt like Robert Downey Jr's Sherlock at the event (Loner, Observer).

-----------------------------------------------------------











First up was the SLC Pop and Top Chef: Katie Weinner.

Beet sour dough bread - I normally don't like sour dough nor beet but this was very impressive. The flavor was very earthy, very natural. The bread was easy to chew. The sourdough I'm used to (and hate) is very tough. Great job!

I had to come back later for their Cashew Curry and Chocolate Stout Cake. I think they either ran out or simply had planned on rolling out the other selections as the event went on.




Cashew Curry - The cashews were not as crunchy anymore, probably soaked for a while. They were very flavorful, though. The grapes were a very nice touch.







Chocolate Stout Cake - First off, let me say that it looked incredible. Like stardust and nebulae. The picture does not do it justice at all. This was a feast for the eyes as well as the mouth. Not too sweet either! The strawberries on the bottom are the stars of this solar system. The creme fraiche does a great job complementing it.

I would also like to mention that everything they provided (utensils, bowls, etc.) were biodegradable. Props!
-----------------------------------------------------------












Adam Kreisel - Chaia Cucina


















Chorizo and fennel ragout tartlette
Very bold for a tartlette. Beautiful in presentation and taste.








Local lamb tartare was really nice. I love raw. The vegetable it rested on was a little stronger than I would've liked. My last bite tasted less of lamb and more of veg.









The mushroom and chocolate shooter was incredible. Who'd a thunk it? Holy cow. Both flavors are readily apparent (mushroom a little more than chocolate, of course) and work remarkably well together.






-----------------------------------------------------------













Amy Oelerich - mediumRarechefs


















Tenderloin Sliders - The tenderloin was perfect. Nice and hot, tender, moist, so good. The arugula made me feel healthy and the lemon aioli was to die for. I never thought that lemon would go do well here but it sealed the deal








Roasted shrimp and veggie parcel (upper left of above picture) - I was the unlucky one to grab a parcel that was still tied with twine. The Chef was very nice and immediately ran to get scissors to help me, though. When I opened it, I was struck with a wonderful aroma.
The vegetables are incredibly flavorful without feeling heavy. The parcel did a wonderful job of locking in warmth. The shrimp was excellent.

Cold Borscht and Parsley - Very refreshing. I am so sorry I didn't take a picture of this alone. In the above tableau picture you'll find glasses of the borscht in the upper right corner. The parsley actually hit me in the face as I was drinking it. I felt really stupid, haha.

-----------------------------------------------------------











Andy Walter - Dottie's Biscuit Barn






















Cold Corn Soup Shooter - The olive oil was really nice. The soup was almost like a drink with how refreshing it was.



















Pork belly and cranberry beans on a fried green tomato chip - The chip was a bit soggy but it was delicious. The pork belly flavor is on point.















Miniature Peach pie - very nice. Sweet but not heavy. I could eat dozens of these and feel wonderful.














-----------------------------------------------------------














Carl Rubadue - Saucy Skillet













Thai curry soup - Soup had a really nice spicy kick to it. Powerful but didn't dominate the flavor. Great to get my appetite back in gear for the finale.

Salmon cake - Wonderfully crisp on the outside and moist on the inside. The tartar-like sauce suited it well. The vegetation upon which it was served was beautiful though a little unwieldy.

Chocolate Decadence - Honestly, it seemed like it was just going to be fudge. But the consistency was almost cakelike (or a very fresh fudge) and the flavor was akin to a well-done mousse.

The night ended with a few dance performances. The first one was very upbeat. The next couple dance numbers were ballet.

I can't really comment on the art nor the dance performances as I know very little about those. Well, I don't know much about food either, but at least I have eaten regularly so I can comment from experience.

The winners based on the crowd-vote were Sarabeth Clevenger (Watercolor & Acrylic; 2nd year running!) and Carl Rubidue (Saucy Skillet).

All in all, I think this is a spectacular event. I personally didn't feel like I fit in at this event (very upper-crust society), but it was fun nonetheless. Definitely a special occasion sort of thing. I would bring a date next time, because I'm not so good at socializing at these events.

Second Source Account End.



No comments:

Post a Comment