Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Fat Fish

Fat Fish

1980 3500 S, West Valley City, UT 84119

TL;DR 
- Price: $20+
- Flavor: Japanese, Light
- Filling?: Depends
- Parking: Pretty good

Before I begin, I must apologize for this review. It is a bit scattered and wordy. I was very tired when I wrote it.

The wait to be seated and to get our orders in was a bit long. Perhaps their emphasis is largely on the existing customers before the newcomers. It was reasonably busy so I think I can excuse this.


I came with a few people, so this review is going to be a little bit longer.







Edamame is fairly standard. Simple and good. No complaints here. 










The Calamari was excellent! The sweet chili sauce is really good. The other white and orange sauce has the creamyness I like. The two sauces are like a yin and yang of delight. The fried onions and jalapeños were a nice touch as well.


The options are fairly numerous. I am a superfreak for sashimi so you know that I'm all over the Large Sashimi (12 pieces of 4 types of fish for $14, what a deal!!).
Also went with the Daizee (tuna, tempura shrimp, ono, lime, salmon, cucumber and onion).

The sashimi looked beautiful. It comes with a sweet sauce. The sauce tasted interesting but overall it was a bit distracting from the flavors of the fish. By the way, you can either choose which fish you want or go with Chef's Choice.

The Chef chose escolar, tuna, yellowtail, albacore.

The escolar is very light. The cucumber slices that came with the escolar may actually overpower it. I'm a fan, without the cucumber.

The tuna seemed a little old compared to other restaurants. It was presented in a delightful fashion. The flavor was a little lacking.

The yellowtail is very good. The morsels are delectable. This was the star of the dish. In hindsight, I would've been perfectly happy with 9 pieces of yellowtail and 3 pieces of escolar, hah.

The albacore seemed a little old, too. It didn't have the fresh snapback to it I expect from sashimi.





The Daizee sauce is savory. Almost to the point of overpowering the rest of the roll. The power of the fish is a little lacking after the taste of their sauce hit me! Though they provide extra sauce on the side, I probably wouldn't do any more dipping because it's overwhelms the fish.





Jalapeño bomb is spicy (of course). The spicy kick was excellent. It comes with a creamy sauce similar to the sauce from the Calamari (hard to tell if they're the same). A reasonable appetizer choice, but I would go with the Calamari first, if you had to choose one.

The Philly is very subtle and light. I did not like the overabundance of sesame seeds. I felt as though I couldn't really taste the fish inside.

The Red Dragon is very nice. The spicy kick is really solid. Easily gets my appetite going.

Second Source Account: Dragon Balls are awesome.

Third Source Account: too much chili sauce. I like cleaner rolls more, I felt theirs were a bit too busy. The Philly without the Chili sauce was really good, particularly with the sesame and the cucumber. The chili sauce overdid it, though.

Fourth Source Account: Dinero was so good. Dragonfly was really good, and particularly interesting because all of a sudden you get a jalapeño kick and then a second kick but of lime. Really liked the cream cheese in the rolls.

We decided to finish the meal off with Mochi Ice Cream!

I opted for the strawberry, chocolate, and cookies and cream.

Strawberry: harder than the others on my plate. The mochi exterior was a little tough.

Chocolate: soft texture. Flavor was really good. Probably my favorite of the bunch.

Cookies and cream: pretty solid flavor, texture was better than the strawberry but slightly worse than the chocolate.

(friend provided a sample) Mango: mild tang was pretty good.

Second Source: green tea is awesome. The texture was great. It was mildly sweet as opposed to the others.

Third Source: green tea is amazing. Very refreshing.

The Mochi ice cream is a great way to finish off a meal of sushi. The fact that you can choose three in a order for $6 is really cool. 

I must apologize for the scattered nature of this entry. It was a bit of a tiring weekend and all of my fatigue from the last several days of celebrations caught up to me during this meal. Fat Fish is a reasonable choice, particularly with respect to sashimi cost. However, it won't dethrone my favorites with regards to the flavors and freshness.
Fat Fish Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

No comments:

Post a Comment