Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Tonkotsu

Tonkotsu

1898 3500 S #10, West Valley City, UT 84119

TL;DR 
- Price: $10 - 15
- Flavor: Ramen, light
- Filling?: Yes
- Parking: Busy, but manageable



The parking here is fairly busy, as there are quite a few establishments sharing this lot.

I'd like to be clear that I came here during their "soft open," as not everything was available yet (appetizers, three ramens, rice bowls were the options).

The environment was pretty relaxing: Chill music, wood tables with texture (seems very distinguished). I really enjoyed their chopsticks and ladle.

Their takoyaki is made fresh so it takes 15 minutes. It may come after the ramen, keep that in mind. The takoyaki seems a little light on the meat. The flavor is pretty good, just a little imbalanced in terms of meat to other stuff. The texture is a little off. The exterior should be crisp and it missed the mark here.





Miso ramen - the flavor is not as pungent as I expected from years of drinking miso soup, which was a nice discovery. The corn was very sweet and had that cool snap to it. The seaweed was great, very flavorful without that msg feeling. The pork I received was excellent, very tender and savory.
Nothing makes this man happier than a runny egg. I thought it wasn't going to happen but I was pleasantly surprised.



Second Source Account: Tonkotsu ramen - The flavor seems a little weak. The texture isn't as springy as ramen from Japan. The pork is fattier than I'm used to.

Third Source Account: Curry ramen - The fried pork was over fried. It was a little tough at times. 8/10

Perhaps my expectations were a bit lower than my fellow compatriots, but I enjoyed my experience here. I really like that there're ramen options in so many different areas, so it's fairly easy to find a quick, filling, heart-and-soul warming lunch. I would like them to refine their frying techniques with respect to their Takoyaki and the Pork in the Curry Ramen, but I would be willing to return for their Miso Ramen.
Tonkotsu Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

No comments:

Post a Comment