Thursday, August 6, 2015

Takashi

Takashi

18 W Market St, Salt Lake City, UT 84101
TL;DR 
- Price: $20+
- Flavor: Fresh, twist
- Filling?: Depends
- Parking: Unclear, walked

First thing first: Takashi is bumpin'.

Bear in mind, I came around 6 pm on Saturday. It was super busy. It seemed that they don't take reservations, which threw me off. Thankfully I was alone on this visit so I could sit at the counter without the long wait.













My sushi chef was Chris. Cool guy, very pleasant. I love seeing the intricate process of rolling the sushi and slicing the fish. If you have never sat at the counter during busy times, I recommend the experience. If you're extroverted, unlike me, you will have a great time talking with the chefs as well.
I ordered the Kampachi special sashimi, Ramon's roll, and the Little Mermaid roll. 

Pro-tip: spicy flavors help amplify the appetite.

The Kampachi (amberjack with balsamic and jalapeños) was powerfully fresh. The balsamic was really apparent. I love Amberjack. I don't like using wasabi on this, it overpowers the fish. Stay away from the wasabi and you're good (unless there are health precautions; a common belief in my family is that the wasabi helps to kill bad stuff in raw foods).



Ramon's roll (Tuna, cilantro, avocado, and spicy sauce with fresh chili peppers on top; akin to a super spicy tuna) was pretty spicy, not sweat inducing after one piece. I really liked the powerful tuna flavor. It's very smooth and savory. I would absolutely order this again. Best spicy tuna I've ever had. 6 pieces in, I started to feel it. Last piece gave me a kick in the pants on the way.




The little mermaid roll (tuna with spicy sauce, scallops, shiso, wasabi tobiko) was a bit more subtle than Ramon's roll. The tobiko on top was a really nice touch. The fish wasn't as strong as in Ramon's roll. Scallops felt wonderfully fresh in my mouth. The flavor of the tuna carried it, the scallops brought a nice texture, and the tobiko drove it home.

I'm starting to get in the mindset that I used to use too much wasabi. I guess it was that familial belief. But I feel like the guy who puts hot sauce on everything. I endeavor to eat without wasabi. Keep me honest.

Takashi was delightful. Ramon's roll is the best spicy tuna roll I've ever had. Will return with my friend, whose weakness is spicy tuna.
Takashi Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

No comments:

Post a Comment