Friday, April 1, 2016

Chabaar Beyond Thai

Chabaar Beyond Thai

87 W 7200 S, Midvale, UT 84047

TL;DR
- Price: $10 - 20 per person
- Flavor: Thai and more!
- Filling?: Yes
- Parking: Plentiful

Thai cuisine

This is a super interesting place. There's a pretty good amount of space. Parking is plentiful.

1 - 9 hotness ratings, with a level 3 cap for first-timers? Wow!

Ordered the tofu pot pie with green curry (I'm a sucker for zucchini). Level 2 hotness. The waitress' eyes widened when I said 2, so maybe I'm overconfident. The pot pies take a little longer than other dishes, just a heads up.

The pastry of the pot pie is nice and flaky.  I should have followed the eyes. 2 is pretty darn spicy. Wow. She wasn't kidding when she said that a 1 is medium. The curry is very flavorful. Woo, had to take my jacket off! I think the advantage of the pot pie is that it allows everything to soak in the curry, so the curry is given time to impart its flavors to the vegetables and rice.

I feel like tofu gets a bad rap in America. It's usually mushy, which is not helping its case. Good tofu is very smooth and vibrant (like a gelatin). I feel that they did the tofu pretty well here.

Okay, fans of spicy foods, come on down! The scale kind of scares me. I would suggest that you follow the level 3 ceiling the first time you come because their spiciness is surprising. The flavors are very savory. It's not just spicy, but flavorful as well.
I think I can impart some wisdom: if you're trying to drink a lot of water every day, eat something super spicy and make water your only option for relief. You, like me, will down gallons of water.

Chabaar is a really good Thai place. The flavors are bold and the spice is to be respected. Most of their dishes can be made Vegetarian or Vegan as well, which is fantastic. Chabaar Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

Extras

Fried spring rolls are super crispy. The sweet and sour sauce that comes with seems more natural than the usual red sauce. I don't think there was meat in it, which surprised me because it was so flavorful.

The pho is a little underwhelming, especially when you've had their curry. It's understated and the beef is a little dry. However, the beef does possess a great flavor. If you can apportion the beef properly amongst bites of noodle, I think you're in good shape. Celery is an interesting albeit unusual choice. There aren't the more exotic pho meats such as tendon and tripe, so the more adventurous of pho-eaters may be disappointed.


No comments:

Post a Comment